Friday, July 31, 2009

Artistic Inspiration

On July 18 & 19 we fired up the RV and headed for the Rock River Artists Tour in Vermont, with one destination in mind. I am a major admirer of the work of Deidre Scherer, art quilter. I had traveled to Boston, to the MFA, a year or so ago, to see the independant film, Holding Our Own, which was centered on Hospice care and featured Deidre and her work. I love portrait quilts and I am a former hospice nurse, so Deidre's beautiful work really speaks to my heart. There is no comparison to seeing the work in person. Both the woman and the work, are outstanding.

On the same trip, I had thought to send an email to my friend, Frances Holliday Alford, to see if she was perhaps in Vermont? Luck would have it that she was, and were were able to meet at Deidre's studio. At long last, I was able to spend time with Frances. She is a marvelous, generous person and artist, and being able to spend time with her and see some of her work, was a fantastic treat.

The world of fiber artists is full of love, talent and generosity. I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment